Yes, you can do a farm tour in Nairobi. Nairobi, the capital city of Kenya, is known for its vibrant agricultural sector and the presence of several farms and agricultural initiatives in and around the city. These farms offer visitors an opportunity to learn about farming practices, interact with animals, and experience rural life. Click here to Book Farm Tour View our Facebook Page
To arrange a farm tour in Nairobi, you can consider the following options:
- Visit the Nairobi City County Government’s Agricultural Training Centers: The Nairobi City County Government operates several agricultural training centers where you can learn about various farming techniques, livestock rearing, and crop cultivation. These centers often organize guided tours and offer training programs.
- Karen Blixen Coffee Garden and Cottages: Located in the suburb of Karen, the Karen Blixen Coffee Garden and Cottages offers a unique farm experience. You can explore the coffee plantation, learn about coffee processing, and enjoy a meal at their restaurant while surrounded by beautiful gardens.
- Kiambethu Tea Farm: Situated on the outskirts of Nairobi, Kiambethu Tea Farm is a historic tea estate that provides guided tours. You can learn about the tea-making process, explore the tea fields, and enjoy a traditional Kenyan lunch.
- Organic Farmers Market: The Organic Farmers Market in Nairobi is a popular destination for those interested in organic farming and sustainable agriculture. While not a traditional farm tour, you can visit the market to learn about organic farming practices, purchase fresh produce, and interact with local farmers.
- Karibu Organic Farm: Located in the Limuru area, Karibu Organic Farm offers farm tours where you can learn about organic vegetable farming, dairy farming, and agroforestry. They also have a farm shop where you can buy fresh organic produce.
Remember to contact the farms or centers in advance to inquire about availability, tour schedules, and any specific requirements.
OTHER FARMTOURS AROUND NAIROBI
Certainly! In addition to the options mentioned earlier, here are a few more farm tour options around Nairobi:
- Oloolua Nature Trail: Located in the suburb of Karen, Oloolua Nature Trail is a serene nature reserve that offers guided tours. While not solely focused on farming, you can learn about indigenous plants, trees, and traditional uses of various herbs and plants.
- Brown’s Cheese Farm: Situated in Limuru, Brown’s Cheese Farm is a dairy farm that produces a variety of artisanal cheeses. You can take a tour of the farm, see the cheese-making process, and sample different types of cheese.
- Brackenhurst Organic Farm and Training Center: Brackenhurst is an environmental conservation and sustainable agriculture center located in Limuru. They offer guided tours that showcase organic farming practices, permaculture techniques, and conservation initiatives.
- Crescent Island Game Park: Although not strictly a farm, Crescent Island Game Park in Lake Naivasha is a sanctuary for wildlife and offers walking safaris. While on the safari, you can observe various animals such as giraffes, zebras, and wildebeests up close.
- Matbronze Wildlife Art Foundry and Gallery: Matbronze is a foundry and gallery located in Karen that specializes in bronze wildlife sculptures. While not a farm, it offers insights into African wildlife and conservation efforts.
It’s always a good idea to check the availability, opening hours, and any booking requirements for these farm tour destinations in Nairobi before planning your visit.